Dining Sets Buying Guide
History of the Dining Room
The dining room can trace its history back to the middle ages, when many large manor houses and castles had a "Great Hall" that was primarily a spot for dining - albeit, an incredibly smelly and noisy one. These problems, in fact, led to the building by the nobility of drawing rooms and parlours, which were rather smaller rooms in which it was possible to retire and quietly converse. Parlours became more popular over the years, to the point where it became normal to eat in these precursors to the modern "dining room".
What furniture can you find in a Dining Room?
A dining set, consisting of table and chairs, is a dining room's obvious focal point. Other vital pieces, however, include a sideboard or a dresser for the storage of cutlery and crockery, whilst display cabinets are also popular as places to keep photos, ornaments and photos. Other common dining room items include wine racks, mirrors and bookcases.
How to choose your new Dining Room Furniture
When you are buying dining sets, you should consider several main factors:
- The size of your dining room.
- The style that you desire for your dining room - particularly modern or traditional. It certainly pays here to choose furniture that fits in with the rest of the room and home.
- The exact items that you would like to store in your dining room. You may intend to store cutlery, crockery, glasses or something different altogether, but whatever it is, you'll need sufficient space for it all.
- Whether you want, or are able to, assemble your own dining room furniture. We stock dining sets in fully assembled, part assembled and flat pack form.
- The extent of your budget when it comes to buying dining furniture.
How to clean and maintain your Dining Room Furniture
Your dining furniture can be kept looking great by being cleaned and protected with good quality beeswax. Also bear in mind that your furniture can shrink and joints and veneers can loosen if it is exposed to heat, such as from strong sunlight or a nearby radiator, so take care to keep your dining set well away from both.
Dining Room Furniture Assembly Guide
- Here are our flat pack dining furniture assembly tips:
- Lay a blanket down on the surface on which you'll be assembling your furniture to protect both the furniture and surface from damage.
- Carefully remove all of the pieces from the packaging and ensure that you have everything to hand before you begin.
- Assemble only one item of furniture at a time.
- Lay out and apply post-it notes to each of the various panels to indicate left/right/top/bottom.
- Lay out your tools such as your hammer and screwdriver.
- Start working!